Congratulations on being part of the Catalyst Award Hero Holiday!
We are looking forward to an amazing experience together this July/August. Our goal for this trip is to challenge and inspire you. You were chosen as a Catalyst Award recipient because of your commitment to a dream of serving others. We want to help you pursue that dream with the added insight that you can gain from exposure to a variety of people and organizations who are working in education, relief, construction, medicine, economic development, and tourism.
While most youth humanitarian trips provide the opportunity to interact with a single community or project, we will be experiencing several and taking the time to openly discuss the apparent advantages and disadvantages of each; and then relate all we are discovering to our individual dreams and plans. There will also be time to enjoy the beach and culture of the area!
Things you should do:
1. Ensure you have a current passport.
2. Ensure your immunizations are up to date. See your doctor or local travel clinic for advice.
3. Plan on bringing a small amount of cash for meals in airports, occasional snacks, and souvenirs.
4. Take some time on Live Different's website (www.livedifferent.com) and join their Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Live-Different/189864944417296) to get a little more information and see some great pictures from other trips.
5. Think about your dreams and what you might hope to see or learn that will help you move towards them.
6. Consider learning a few basic phrases in Spanish. You'll be amazed how much even a bit helps.
7. Join the “Catalyst Award 2012” group on facebook. We'll post interesting information there and it will be a great place to share pics and stories while we're on the trip.
I am very excited to share this trip with you, as are our other chaperones, (Kala & Adam), and the staff from Live Different who will be guiding and translating for us.
Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns, it's my job to make sure this week becomes one of the best and most signifcant of your life!
Executive Director, Catalyst Foundation
Jul 29, 2012 to Aug 4, 2012