Be part of something new and exciting!
Take the next step
in becoming a leader
and a difference maker.
Help us impact Indigenous communities across Canada by sharing your story.
Join a team of
of 7-8 young adults
on the adventure
of a lifetime.
Travel the country, spreading hope, for 4 or 8 months.
What a tour intern can expect to gain from the experience:
- Opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of students and volunteers through Live Different’s programs.
- Transferable skills such as project management, relationship building, and team work.
- Character development in the areas of servant leadership, social responsibility, and global awareness
- Chance to travel across Canada and meeting new people along the way
- A personalized reference on successful completion of your internship
- Hands-on professional experience working for a charity/non-profit, and the chance to find out if it’s the right career for you!
This will be accomplished by participating in the following:
- Leadership and specific skills training for the tour internship role
- Opportunities for collaboration on projects and events
- Valuable input towards planning and feedback on Live Different’s presentations and workshops
- Everyday participation in and facilitation of the life of a Live Different team
- Practice putting others interests / desires in front of your own
- Opportunity to show work ethic and initiative to help accomplish the behind the scenes work that is required in order to successfully facilitate Live Different’s programs
Hours – Every day on the road is a little different! Generally, each weekday the team will travel to a local school to complete a Live Different presentation – some days that means being in and out of a school in a few hours, and other days it means getting up at the crack of dawn to drive hours to spend a full day at a school, and then to drive all weekend to get to the next province. Let’s be honest…there’s going to be a lot of driving! When not required for travel and events, evenings and weekends are ‘time off’, and interns will be able to have time to themselves, or will be able to join the team and billets for group activities.
4 to 8 months – Each Live Different tour is approximately 4 months long, from mid August to mid December, and mid January to the end of May. You can choose to be a tour intern with Live Different for 4 or 8 months, and we do intake in both August and January. However, due to the amount of training required, our first preference is for a full 8 month commitment.
Living and traveling conditions – This tour will primarily focus on traveling through Indigenous Communities from Ontario- B.C. but there will also be time in larger cities presenting in more urban areas. During your tour semester, you will spend time being based around Ontario, but will also head out to one of Canada’s beautiful coasts – checking out all the sights and schools on the way! The teams travel in buses and vans, renovated for road life. These buses quickly become home, and long highway stretches are a great time to catch up on sleeping, texting, reading, and getting to know the other members of your team. Your meals and accommodations are covered while you are touring with the road teams. Part of the amazing experience that Live Different offers on our road tour is billeting. Billets, or host homes, are arranged by the road team leaders in family homes and community groups across Canada, and give interns the opportunity to have a home away from home in some of the most beautiful, exciting places in our country!
Housing in Hamilton is provided by the Live Different. Accommodations will be provided with at least a double occupancy rate, with access to shared kitchens and bathrooms. Within the road teams’ schedules, there will be some weeks booked in Hamilton during the tour, as well as weeks of training at the beginning of the semester, and so interns should budget to pay for at least one month per semester of their own meals/groceries while in Hamilton.
Each tour intern will need to have:
- Experience working with young people
- A proven ability to work with initiative both independently and with a team
- Have a heart for impacting youth
- The ability to communicate effectively with young people and adults and the ability to adapt information to different audiences
- An ability to think and work creatively, especially in changing situations
- Excellent organizational skills, including excellent time management
- A passport that is valid until the end of the internship
- Completion of High School
- A current clear Criminal Record Check
Each tour intern will be expected to:
- Participate in the daily set up/tear down of the presentation
- Spend time engaging with students and staff
- Participate in and help lead small groups/workshops
- Be willing to continue to learn about youth issues and social justice
- Engage with billets and community members
- Be knowledgeable about and able to promote Live Different’s programs
- Contribute to team blogs, pictures, social media, etc.
- Have a consistent positive attitude with a strong emphasis on teamwork and servant leadership
- Maintain a vocal, respectful, positive, and professional presence of Live Different in all settings
- Be willing to assist in any admin responsibilities that may need to be delegated
- Take on any addition task at the discretion of the road team leader
Live Different tour internships are not paid positions, but are on a 100% volunteer basis, meaning that it does not cost you anything to participate in Live Different programs. While on tour, all of your daily needs are met, and you will only be responsible for your own discretionary spending. During training and any downtime at our location in Hamilton, your housing costs are covered, but you are responsible for your own meals and transportation within the city. You are also responsible for your own costs to travel to and from Hamilton at the beginning and end of your internship.
Costs covered by Live Different:
- Accommodations in Hamilton and billets while on tour
- Meals while on tour – in billets homes, at schools, or as a group
- All ground transportation while on tour
Costs not covered by Live Different:
- Travel to and from Hamilton
- Emergency Medical Travel Insurance
- Meals when team is home in Hamilton
Even though most of your costs are covered, we do realize that committing to a volunteer position for 4-8 months can deplete your finances pretty quickly! Therefore, as a charity, we’re excited that we’re able to help you fundraise through CanadaHelps to offset the costs of your experience. Any donation made towards your tour internship is tax receitable, and we can help you with fundraising ideas and events that will allow people to help you make a difference! For more info, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If finances are a major road block for you to participate in the internship, please do not hesitate to have a conversation with us. We want to make this opportunity accessible to people with the right heart and attitude.
To begin your fundraising efforts please set up a personal GivingPage on the CanadaHelps website*. CanadaHelps is a safe, secure and credible not-for profit website that provides an easy to set-up and use tool for individual fundraising purposes. The GivingPage page makes it easy for donors (including yourself) to give by credit card, PayPal, and even Interac. Another benefit is that Canada Helps will immediately send tax receipts to donors for gifts that are made through your personal GivingPage.
After reading through the directions below, if you still need any help setting up your page, please call us, and we will help set it up for you.
To see a sample volunteer GivingPage click here.
Important: All monies raised through CanadaHelps are tax-receiptable donations and 100% non-refundable.
Whenever possible, please encourage your donors to support your fundraising efforts by donating through your personal CanadaHelps GivingPage. However, if you do need to receive funds offline (eg. cheques, cash donations or proceeds from fund-raising sales/events), please contact us, and we will send you a form for these offline funds
* If you do not wish to fundraise or use CanadaHelps, please contact us to arrange a direct payment option.
- Register/Login to CanadaHelps to get started.
- Choose: Login with Facebook or Google ID OR click “Don’t have an account yet? Create one” in the login box.
- If you click “Don’t have an account yet? Create one” (instead of using Facebook/Google login), choose a “Giving Page Account” account on the next page. Be sure to remember your password as you will need it to access your account and to manage your GivingPage.
- Once you are signed in to CanadaHelps, go to: https://www.canadahelps.org/GivingPages/Manage/MyGivingPages.aspx and click “Create a GivingPage“
- Type of page: select “Other Event/Occasion”
- Page Owner: is your name.
- Page Title: is whatever you want to name your personal GivingPage. A sample GivingPage title may be: (Your name)’s Live Different Internship – help me impact Canadian youth!
- Personal Message: is your chance to tell those who visit your page what you are doing and to ask them to support you. You are limited to 500 characters and cannot include hyperlinks. Here is a sample personal message you can use:
- I am very excited to be taking part in an 8 month tour internship with Live Different, an organization that exists to empower Canadian youth to realize their incredible value and potential.I am fundraising to help with the expenses of my participation in this program. I hope that you will support me in my efforts to bring love, hope and change to awesome students all across Canada by making a donation via this page to Live Different.
- Fundraising Goal: Be sure to set your goal to cover the fundraising amount of $2400 per semester. We welcome you to set your fundraising goal higher as all excess funds raised will go toward important needs on this project and others.
- Display Donations: Choose whether or not you would like those who visit your page to see who has contributed to you. Donors often like to leave encouraging notes with their donations, so you may want to choose “YES” for this reason. (Note: donors will still have the option to have their donation made public or not).
- Donation Email Alerts: We encourage you to tick this box and choose to be alerted when donations are made to you so you can keep on top of your fundraising efforts and can send timely personal acknowledgements to those who choose to support you.
- Page expiry date: We recommend that you leave your GivingPage active for 3 to 6 months following the start of your tour internship, as supporters may wish to refer back to your page or share the link even after you have begun, and the link will be a dead end once the page expires. Your friends and family may be so inspired by what they see and hear from you during and after your tour internship that they want to give again to help continue the impact of the programs you are involved in.
- Message to charity: You can leave this field blank, as Live Different automatically receives the GivingPage ID associated with every donation that comes through your page.
- Next, you will be given an opportunity to “upload my own image” to personalize your page. Here are some photos that you can use, or you can upload your own. Right-click and then save to your computer, then upload to CanadaHelps:
- Choose your selected charity – IMPORTANT: You must choose Live Different. There is only one “Live Different” registered with CanadaHelps, so when you enter their name into the search box the proper Live Different should appear. For confirmation, the correct Live Different’s address is: Suite B3 – 15 Wellington St. N, HAMILTON, ON, CA, L8R1M7
- Once you have selected Live Different as your recipient charity, click “Finish Your GivingPage”. If you only select “Preview Your GivingPage”, your page will not be made active until you go back and choose “Finish Your GivingPage”.
- Once your page is complete you will receive a confirmation email from CanadaHelps. You can log into your GivingPage at any time and change your personal message, photo and GivingPage settings. To do this simply log in and go here: https://www.canadahelps.org/GivingPages/Manage/MyGivingPages.aspx
- On your GivingPage there is a button that says “Share/Save”, that you can use to share your GivingPage on Facebook, Twitter, email, etc. Alternately, you can simply share/post the direct URL of your GivingPage.
- Raising funds offline? Click here for instructions on how to upload offline donations to your GivingPage
Fundraising, stipends, charitable donations, how do these work, and what happens if I can’t raise the minimum fundraising amount?
As we are a charity, Live Different can give you the opportunity to fundraise for your internship, and allow your friends and family to get a tax receipt in return for supporting you. The best way to do this is to set up a CanadaHelps GivingPage that allows you to share your story and raise funds online! Out of the funds you raise, Live Different will give you a stipend to help cover the costs that will come up as you tour with us – things like groceries and deodorant (we REALLY want you to be able to buy deodorant when you spend hours every day carrying gear on and off the bus!) The maximum stipend you can receive is $300 every two weeks, which works out to a fundraising goal of $3000 for 4 months, or $6000 for 8 months. If you raise more than that amount, you are totally freakin’ awesome, and we’ll put the donations towards the other costs associated with the tours you’ll be involved in. If you aren’t able to raise the fundraising amount, that’s fine, and you’ll still be permitted to intern with us. However, your stipend will be adjusted to the amount that you’ve fundraised, i.e., if you only raise $1000, then you’ll get about $100 every two weeks, or if you don’t raise anything, you won’t get a stipend at all, and will need to have other means of covering your personal costs while on tour.
Can I do this internship to fulfill volunteer hours, or as part of a college/university requirement?
Yes, as long as you can commit to being on tour with us full time. This usually means that you will need to take a semester or a full year off from school to tour with us, or you’ll need to be in a college/university program that allows you to have this time to dedicate solely to your internship. You are also responsible for talking to your college/university to make sure that the duration and components of a Live Different internship would qualify for your program, (we’re happy to help you out if they want to talk to us!) Also, we cannot guarantee that you will have regular internet access, so we don’t recommend doing any online courses alongside of your internship.
I have specific questions about your programs. Can I call or email you?
Yup. Please call us in our office, 1-866-432-4464 or email email@example.com