About the position
The Manager of Road Teams oversees Live Different’s teams (currently 3) that tour to schools across Canada, delivering our youth empowerment programming/presentations. This position is responsible for the overall recruitment, preparation, training, logistics and support of these road teams.
The successful candidate must have a strong passion to impact the lives of youth and will understand how to be relevant in connecting with young people. He/she will be experienced with servant leadership, and comfortable working in a team/collaborative environment.
About our work in schools:
Live Different’s presentation program provides schools across Canada with motivational assemblies and supplemental programming that has a lasting impact on the lives of many young people each year. Communicating our positive messages from a platform of high energy (live music, personal stories, videos, etc) and relevance to what students are dealing with in life, Live Different supports 300+ schools from September to May, reaching over 100,000 students annually!
Our Indigenous road team spends extra time (usually 2 days total) in each community doing additional workshops, concerts and programming.
Road team support/team dynamics
This position directly supports the leaders of our road teams. The Manager of Road Teams will help Road Team Leaders create positive, thriving teams and provide ongoing support and coaching to them. This will include regular visits to teams while on tour, and assisting new Road Team Leaders during their first weeks of tour.
Road team training
The Manager of Road Teams is responsible for the overall coordination and planning of our road team/presentation training weeks in August and January. This includes booking a suitable training venue, creating training schedules and plans, and assisting with training activities.
Intern and artist associate recruiting and management
Our road teams include both volunteer interns and musical artists/bands that provide live music to our school presentations. This position fully oversees our artist associate “program” and internship “program” and is responsible for the recruiting of interns and artists/bands, interviewing, qualifying and screening, contracting, on-boarding/training, general support and off-boarding.
Tech equipment and fleet management
This position is responsible for managing our audio/visual equipment and providing training and tech support for it. The Manager of Road Teams is also responsible for managing (maintenance schedule, insurance, etc) our tour vehicle bus “fleet” (large vans and trailers). It is desired, but not critical, that the Manager of Road Teams is experienced or knowledgeable in vehicle operation and repair.
Each year, we prepare and produce a 1-hour motivational production that includes videos, live music, personal stories, and crowd interaction. The Manager of Road Teams may contribute to the development and execution of our yearly school presentations, in collaboration with other staff, to communicate our life-impacting messages in relevant and effective ways. This includes helping create concepts for short video segments, crowd interactions, visual elements, and other communication or programming pieces.
To get a better idea of what the presentation looks like, please review a live stream of our presentation showcase (“dress rehearsal”) from a past presentation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NK4vPT2N_A
Storytelling in the presentations:
The 3 presentation teams are each made up of 4-7 volunteer interns and musical artists. The Manager of Road Teams may assist with the coaching and development of these interns in their on-stage roles within the presentation. This includes helping interns develop meaningful stories to share that fall in line with the presentations theme, coaching on speaker dynamics/delivery and scripting various pieces of the presentation (crowd interaction portions, MC intro/outro, Live Different Builds Promo, etc).
Logistics and billeting
The Manager of Roads Teams may, in conjunction with our school bookings team, help with the logistics and tour planning to ensure efficient and smooth tour schedules. Additionally, the Manager of Road Teams will oversee our billeting process, to create a positive experience for both road teams and the billets who host them.
- Strong experience, knowledge, and proven track record in leadership and team dynamics
- Strong experience leading youth/young adults.
- Knowledge and alignment with the values of Servant Leadership
- Experience with Live Different’s school tour, or significant experience with managing a similar tour/program.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Skilled in problem-solving and working well under pressure.
- Valid driver’s licence
- Valid passport and ability to travel internationally without restrictions
- This position is based out of our Hamilton, ON office.
- Ability to travel regularly, sometimes for a week or two at a time. Potentially 4 to 8 total weeks of travel over the course of a school year as required.
- Post secondary education in an area that relates to youth development or leadership
- Creative thinker and able to communicate concepts in a relevant, youth-centered manner
- Experience with media concept creation and production
- Volunteer management
- Experience engaging/connecting/marketing to a youthful audience
- Full-time, salary position
- Salary range: $39,500 to $45,500 / year
- Based out of our Hamilton, ON office
- Free office parking
- Health benefits package (after 3 month waiting period)
- Cell phone allowance
- Opportunity to be a valued team member in a fun and collaborative work environment