Imagine traveling to a place that is rich in history and natural beauty. Now imagine being in that place and being a part of something that is changing lives on a daily basis - something that is fighting injustice and exploitation at the grassroots. That is what our Thailand Hero Holiday is all about! Live Different's Hero Holiday teams work in northern Thailand, in a small community called Chiang Saen, in Chiang Rai province. In this place we have discovered some real life heroes, and it is an honour to be able to work alongside of them and be a part of what they are doing to fight slavery and exploitation. In doing so, they are creating a future of hope and freedom.
Trip Dates and Applications
Encouraged Reading:Foreign to Familiar by Sarah A. Lanier and Not for Sale by David Batstone.
Payment and Donation Log - Must accompany all payments and donations.
*Does not include airfare to Bangkok. Prices listed may be subject to extra fees. See application for full pricing and package details.
Thailand is a beautiful country and Thai culture is full of laughter, friendship, and deep respect for one other. However, Thailand also has been a country that has had many dark secrets and many women and children have been victimized by exploitation and slavery within its borders. During our time in Thailand, we will become a voice for abolition and freedom, as we help Buddies Along the Roadside, a grassroots foundation that reaches out to children and families that are caught in the destructive web of sexual slavery and exploitation. Our help comes in the form of building projects and time invested in the children that are now safe and being rehabilitated in the home in Chiang Saen province, and it is always deeply appreciated and welcomed.
During our time in Chiang Saen we stay in a local hotel and spend our days at the children's home and completing various projects.
- Team to meet in Chiang Mai (Chiang Mai International Airport - CNX), Thailand. A staff member will meet you as you leave security and bring you to our accommodations in Chiang Mai.
- Orientation and meet your team.
- Drive to Chiang Saen in the afternoon.
- During our stay in Chiang Saen we will be participating in the following activities:
- Building Projects: Each year our project looks a little different, as we partner with Buddies Along the Roadside to build and maintain their children's compound. Examples of projects in the past: building an office space and a water treatment centre, constructing a recycling area for the home, assembling a safe playground for the kids, general maintenance, and painting.
- Fun Days with the Kids: There are about 160 children currently in the children's home. They range in age from 3-19, and most have been rescued from exploitation and abuse. You will meet some incredible people that you will soon call friends.
- English and Sports Camps: English is the most widely used language in the world, and knowledge of English helps to equip these children with a wider range of education and job opportunities. Please come prepared with a willingness to have fun with English, and with possible class ideas!
- Visit Drop-In Centre on the Myanmar border. Meet some of the families whose lives have been changed by the projects, hear their stories and meet the people who work directly with children who are currently living on the streets.
- Drive to Chiang Mai
- Final Debriefing
- Day off or Excursion Day: A day off to relax and unwind at the hotel or enjoy an adventure excursion!
- Fly home out of Chiang Mai (Chiang Mai International Airport - CNX), Thailand.
While in Thailand we stay at a quaint, smalll hotel, Chiang Saen River Hotel. It is in the town of Chiang Saen, Chian Rai Province, approximately a 10 minute drive from our project site. Our rooms in Thailand are double occupancy and are clean, air conditioned and have hot water. We also have consistent access to internet and bank machines.
While staying at this location, you will taste some of the best food-ever! Our meals are a combination of eating with the kids at the children's home, local restaurants and meals prepared by friends of Live Different. There are always vegetarian options available,and you will always be well taken care of.
Staff / Security
Hero Holiday has been traveling with our groups to Thailand since March 2007. While working alongside our Thai friends we have developed friendships and relationships with organizations that are on the ground making a dramatic difference in the lives of children at risk. Whether arranging transportation, building projects, meals, best locations for the night markets, or inexpensive Thai massages our Thai staff are exceptionally experienced.
All of our staff are very passionate about what we do and we believe that we all have a responsibility to help those in need and to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. Hero Holiday maintains excellent community relations and works diligently alongside of community leaders, other NGO's working in the area, and often government officials in each country that we work in. Safety is always our number one priority. All of our key staff are first aid certified and we always have access available to quality medical attention (if needed) in all countries that we work in.
Before a Hero Holiday begins, all parents are given contact numbers and emails for Hero Holiday Trip Host(s). We are available at any time for parental concerns or emergencies. Our staff also works hard to keep families and friends back home updated on a daily basis with stories and pictures on our website and Facebook of what is happening with each particular group.
"My Hero Holiday to Thailand was unlike any of the other Hero Holidays I had been on. There were so many opportunities to experience the wonderful and unique Thai culture. Working with the kids left me inspired to pursue a life of work in the anti-human trafficking field and they left a lasting impression on my heart."
- Aelea, Thailand May 2012
"Thailand was an absolutely incredible experience. Not only was it extremely rich in culture, but I learned a lot about ongoing issues related to exploitation. I met so many inspiring people and the children at the home were amazing and so full of life! Thailand was definitely one of my favourite trips so far and I would highly recommend it! …Oh, and riding elephants was pretty awesome too!"
- Bianca, Thailand May 2012